Ready for a Do-Over? 14 Ways to Naturally Detox –
If you snoozed through January like I did then this is the post for you. I think February is the perfect time for a reboot! Plus, if you read until the end there is a giveaway for a chance to win a $250 Wal-Mart gift card! The aim of detoxification is to eliminate all the negative effects on the body from the environment: industrial chemicals, pesticides, additives in our food, secondary smoke, pollutants, and heavy metals included. True healing requires a detoxification of both the mind and the body. Below are 14 ways you can help your body detoxify naturally so it can flush out some of the everyday toxins to which it’s exposed. Recently, people adopt internal detoxification—targeting organs like the kidneys and colon—to keep their body systems in peak condition. Drinking fluids—water, vegetable and fruit juice, herbal tea—and taking vitamins or supplements can help to boost the immune system and keep your body regulated, while exercise (such as yoga and tai chi) and meditation have been proven to help regulate stress and energy levels, too.
1. Start off each day with a glass of water with lemon, ginger, and cucumber if you’re up to it. This is how I start every morning to flush out toxins and it has the added benefit of alkalizing the body. Don’t forget to keep drinking as the day goes on. Drinking fluids—water, vegetable and fruit juice, herbal tea—and taking vitamins or supplements (see number 7) can help to boost the immune system and keep your body regulated.
2. Try Yoga and Meditation. Exercise (such as yoga and tai chi) and meditation have been proven to help regulate stress and energy levels. Exercise and meditation help maintain a healthy body. Exercising helps you sweat, and sweating helps release toxins through your skin. Studies have found trace amounts of arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury in sweat. Meditation helps you clear your mind and reduce stress. Stress can be as toxic to your health as chemicals. A troubled mind can cause the physical body to work poorly. That’s no fun am I right?
3. Take Epsom salt Baths and try Dry Brushing. Many celebrities such as Heidi Klum and Gwyneth Paltrow have taken to the Epsom salt bath as a way to skinny up before red carpet events. Proponents of the practice also believe that the salt draws toxins from the body by making you sweat them from your skin. These natural salts are also said to help cleanse your colon when added to water. Dry-brush your skin to remove toxins through your pores. Special brushes are available at many natural products stores.
4. Drink More Tea, especially detox teas like this one from my favorite brand, Traditional Medicinals. Their teas are all herbal and organic with over 50 different varieties which are available at Wal-Mart, see the last photo for reference. I love them all but for the sake of this post we are taking about Traditional Medicinals Everyday Detox. EveryDay Detox promotes healthy liver and kidney functions and is a complex blend of all five tastes: sweet, sour, bitter, pungent and salty + roasted. It also helps us digest fats so drink 2-3 cups daily. Traditional Medicinal herbal teas are also 100% certified non-GMO. The Everyday Detox Proprietary Blend contains Organic Licorice Root, Organic Ginger Rhizome, Organic Start Anise Fruit, Organic Kukicha Twig. You can’t beat 16 tea bags for less than $5 either! Head to www.traditionalmedicinals.com for more info.
5. Get some form of exercise in everyday. Going for a walk is amazing! Find the positive in every day and move your body. This will all help to reduce stress and the stress chemicals in your body.
6. Eat lots if greens. What we want from green veggies is chlorophyll. Chlorophyll rids the body of environmental toxins, heavy metals, herbicides, and pesticides. Make sure you get lots of green things in your diet — leafy greens, broccoli, cucumbers, celery, sprouts, dandelion teas, chlorella supplements… whatevs. Aiding in detox, increasing oxygen content, and purifying the blood, greens are the essential building blocks of any healthy and vibrant diet. (Plus, they make you glow. I’m serious.)
7. Take a daily probiotic. You can also eat foods that contain live cultures, such as cultured vegetables, Greek yogurt, or kefir. The beneficial bacteria kill harmful bacteria and yeasts and help to heal the lining of the intestines. But if you go the supplement route (I do!) it’s been demonstrated to aid gastrointestinal health in the human body, acidophilus and other probiotics are key elements of our overall health and well-being. This is especially true when we consider that many of our common-day chronic ailments begin in the digestive system. It is also true when we consider the sheer number of people who suffer from poor gastrointestinal health, a condition which lowers the overall level of good bacteria in the body. In case you’re wondering the one I take is by Nature’s Bounty.
8. Get more SLEEP! Our bodies cleanse itself while we sleep, with the liver doing a lot of the dirty work in the early morning hours. Pulling an all nighter, or even staying up to watch a late night show will put you in a position to miss out on the deeper sleep cycles that occur before midnight. Be sure to get up early as well, because you don’t want to sleep through the hours when your body naturally wants to purge itself of waste. (I am so not a morning person!)
9. Eat healthy oils. Toxic oils can include vegetable oil, peanut oil, sunflower oil, cotton seed oil and canola oil. Substitute with good oils, such as extra-virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, hemp oil and flaxseed oil. Hemp oil, for example, is a great source of omega-3s, -6s, and -9s.
10. Use essential oils and get regular massages. Another way to do a skin detox at home is more common than you think: exfoliating to help keep the skin healthy and free of dead skin cells. Exfoliation is often coupled with sweat sessions in a sauna and relaxing massages to ease tension. There are several ways to detox with essential oils, and safety should be a top concern. Meaning, you don’t want to drink several drops of essential oils in water every morning because you see something on Pinterest! We must remember that essential oils are powerful substances and need to be handled with care. They are also powerful detoxifying agent and can help your you flush out toxins and cleanse the skin and oral cavity.
11. Add Legumes into your diet. Legumes are a great source of protein and the fiber in beans helps keep the bowels eliminating properly.
12. Sweat in a sauna so your body can eliminate waste through perspiration.
13. Smoothies and juice are an excellent way to get massive amounts of superfoods into your system without feeling like you’re a rabbit. You can blend up a bunch of baby spinach or kale along with some fruits like strawberries or blueberries and have a great tasting and nutritious shake that doesn’t feel like you’re missing out on anything.
14. Lastly, make sure you pay attention to what you are putting in your body. Especially when going through a detox. It’s easier on your body to eat raw veggies as often as possible but as you’ve seen above that is not all you have to eat when trying to reboot. Fruit, vegetables and herbs contain enzymes that aid digestion and improve nutrient absorption. The best way to protect your body from toxins? Eat a diet rich in the foods that can keep your digestive tract and organs healthy. Feed your body right so that it is ready for battle. Fruits, vegetables, high-quality protein, fiber-rich carbohydrates, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and probiotics all play a role in building a strong body from the inside out.